| Filed under:
15 June 2011
- Before you visit the dealer, line up good financing with a bank or credit unit.
- Before you negotiate the price of a new car, check for price information at http://www.edmunds.com/; for a used car, check the value at http://www.kbb.com/ .
- Never tell the dealer how much you are willing to spend per month; instead, negotiate a fair cash price for the car.
- Negotiate the price of the new car first, before the dealer evaluates how much you'll get for your trade-in. Keep negotiations separate and beware of monthly car note that hides the price of the new car and what you are getting for the trade-in
- For used cars, get an independent, expert vehicle inspection before you buy
- Check the vehicle's Vehicle ID Number (VIN) at http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/ ; other vehicle history reports may be unreliable.
- Test drive the vehicle and examine it closely for signs of prior damage.