We’re Tracking Harmful Business Practices During the COVID-19 Crisis
Federal Regulatory Resources
- Financial regulators: Interagency Statement on Loan Modifications and Reporting for Financial Institutions Working with Customers Affected by the Coronavirus
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB): Protect yourself financially from the impact of the coronavirus
- CFPB: Having a problem with a financial product or service? Submit a Complaint
- Department of Education, Federal Student Aid: Coronavirus and Forbearance Info for Students, Borrowers, and Parents
- Federal Communications Commission: COVID-19 Consumer Warnings and Safety Tips (illegal robocalls)
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information for Bankers and Consumers
- Federal Housing Finance Agency: “MORTGAGE HELP FOR HOMEOWNERS IMPACTED BY THE CORONAVIRUS” and some relief for renters
- Federal Trade Commission: Scammers are taking advantage of fears surrounding the Coronavirus.
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development: Immediate Relief For Homeowners Amid Nationwide Coronavirus Response
- Internal Revenue Service: Coronavirus Tax Relief
- Office of the Comptroller of the Currency: Information for Bank Customers – Frequently Asked Questions Regarding COVID-19
In The States
- National Governors Association: What Steps Have States Taken To Address Coronavirus?
- National Center for State Courts: Coronavirus and the Courts (guidelines and orders from individual state courts)
- National Association of Attorneys General: Attorney Generals Are Taking Action to Protect Consumers During Coronavirus Pandemic
- Financial Protections and Assistance for America’s Consumers, States, Businesses, and Vulnerable Populations Act (H.R. 6321), legislation to provide a comprehensive stimulus and public policy response to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Senators Brown, Booker, Warren: A bill to amend the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act to provide additional protections for consumers and small business owners from debt collection during a major disaster or emergency.
- Senators Brown, Booker, Jones, Warren: A bill to provide borrowers the right to request forbearance on mortgage loan payments due to a declared disaster, and for other purposes.
- Senators Brown, Booker: A bill to prohibit depository institutions from assessing overdraft and non-sufficient fund fees during the novel coronavirus crisis and other disasters, and for other purposes.
- Representatives Pressley, Omar: The Student Debt Emergency Relief Act
- Representatives Garcia, Lee: To establish a moratorium on evictions from rental dwelling units during the public health emergency relating to coronavirus, and for other purposes.
Letters from Consumer Advocacy Groups
- Letter to Congressional Leaders Calling for Consumer Protections in Next Relief Package (August 12)
- Letter to House Financial Services Committee on CFPB Inaction During Pandemic (July 28)
- Letter to Senate Banking Committee on CFPB’s COVID-19 Response (July 28)
- Letter to Congressional Leaders on Higher Education COVID-19 Relief Accountability (July 22)
- Letter to House Leaders Opposing Liability Immunity for Healthcare Industry (July 16)
- Letter to Congress in Support of Student Debt Cancellation During COVID-19 (July 15)
- Letter to Congress Supporting Debt Collection Provisions in COVID-19 Relief Package (June 22)
- Letter to Congressional Leaders on Data Disclosures Relating to COVID-19 Relief (June 18)
- Letter to CFPB on Non-Essential Rulemaking (May 22)
- Letter to Congress on Business Immunity from COVID-19 Legal Claims (May 11)
- Letter to Congress in Support of Medical Debt Reporting Protections in Relief Package (May 11)
- Letter to CFPB Urging Agency to Be More Active on COVID-19 Issues (April 30)
- Letter to Congress Opposing Business Immunity Proposal (April 29)
- Letter to Congressional Oversight Commission to Monitor Stimulus Fund Misuse (April 21)
- Letter to Congress to Ensure Stimulus Payments are Exempt from Garnishment (April 21)
- Letter to Illinois Supreme Court on Bank Account Freezes During Pandemic (April 20)
- Letter to Ohio Attorney General on Suspending Debt Collection During COVID-19 (March 30)
- Letter to Congressional Leaders on Bankruptcy Relief for Consumers Impacted by COVID-19 (March 24)
- Letter to Congressional Leaders on COVID-19 (March 22)
- Letter to Congress on COVID-19 (March 20)
Other Organizational Resources
- American Bar Association: ABA creates task force to address legal needs arising from coronavirus pandemic.
- CLA, Kelly Guzzo, and Cohen Consumer Law: COVID-19 Consumer Resource Center
- Consumer Action: Resources for consumers impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak
- Consumer Federation of America: How Consumers Can Protect Their Financial Well-Being in These Uncertain Times
- Consumer Reports: Coronavirus Resource Hub
- National Consumer Law Center: Surviving Debt, COVID-19 & Consumer Protections, and FAQs on Stimulus Payments
- National Fair Housing Alliance on COVID-19
- National Low Income Housing Coalition: Coronavirus and Housing/Homelessness
- Public Justice: Resources For Plaintiffs’ Lawyers Facing Deposition Obstruction During COVID-19
- U.S. PIRG: COVID-19: Consumer Protection, Financial and Higher Education Concerns